July 31, 2009

Twitter - yup, I'm a Twit - or is that Tweep?


I presume you have heard of "Twitter". I furthermore presume that you have have done one of the following:
a) Wondered what the hell it is
b) Joined the masses of Twits and have Tweeps aplenty - perhaps you are Twittering right now or have read this via Twitter
c) Checked it out and gave up.....


I have become a Twit - or "Twitter" as the correct phrase would be. I am also confused, and somewhat disappointed at this social networking, gathering place for the bored, lazy or agoraphobic who just can't deal with people on a personal face to face basis!

I joined this site in a vain attempt at "putting my work out there", sharing my poems and blogs - yes this one included, with millions of people who would read my writes and fain at my feet in sheer and utter adornment. Did it happen?
No!

It seems that, unless you have a huge circle of friends that you just can't be bothered talking to on the phone or meeting in person, the only "followers" you will accrue will be crazy naked ladies wanting to tempt you with their web cams - sorry, Im female - not interested, or a bunch of affiliate site members plying you with great investment opportunities.

I believe the motivation behind this ridiculous, yet terribly addicting site, was to offer a false hope to the socially unaware of befriending celebs!

I have come to learn through thorough investigation that anyone who has more than 100 followers rarely replies to you, and any celeb (who normally have tens of thousands of followers) don't even read your "Tweets" let alone reply to lowly peons such as ourselves. Ironically this does not deter thousands of people from chatting "with" these people as though they are in the midst of their random conversations, or in some cases, poignant thoughts that may cure the world of all evil! Give me a break!

To be honest to those of you who trust and follow me - and to myself - I have added a couple of notables onto my "following" tab and not without the hope that one day, someone, somewhere may return a tweet to me. I have left deep and thoughtful messages to a couple of these people in the hopes that they may realize that I am not a star struck teenie-bopper and may actually offer a conversation of substance - without being a stalker or crazy naked lady on a web cam! This was about as fruitful as my latest attempt at winning the lottery without purchasing a ticket.

There is an obvious sense of voyeurism attached to this site akin to listening in to private conversations, although without the benefit of hearing both sides of the conversation. I can tell you what color Perez Hilton is dying his hair this week, but I have no clue who he was saying "yes" to.....

I think this leads many members - especially the younger ones, to have a false sense of relationship and inside knowledge of their heroes, which sadly, can only lead to disappointment.

With a few ways of making a couple of bucks on the site through various Twitter offered programs, it may be something to play with but not a way of truly getting to know people or market yourself. These too, may only lead you down the path of either becoming an affiliate spammer or getting kicked off the site!


Well, as for me, I am off to post this latest addition on Twitter and hunt down a couple of celebs! I'll probably see you there - be sure to say "hello"!




If I ever get a celeb reply, I will be sure to let you know ;-)




Follow me on Twitter.com - Scotlass71

No comments:

Post a Comment